In today’s limited economy, Enterprise IT Heads must boost productivity while utilizing scarce human resources. It’s time for IT managers, engineers, developers, and all of us to stop working manually and figure out how to automate our processes.
IT automation is the process of creating and developing software and systems to replace repetitive processes in order to reduce the need for an IT professional’s manual intervention.
There will be a breakthrough in promoting IT automation this year, so what should enterprise IT Heads pay attention to?
Why is IT automation becoming more prevalent?
IT automation is no longer a trend in the field of IT; it is now a necessity. IT automation replaces manual, repetitive work, freeing IT staff from time-consuming tasks and allowing them to focus on more important tasks; it also helps businesses in optimizing costs, reducing errors, and improving security.
According to Forrester Consulting thought leadership paper commissioned by Red Hat: 99% of decision makers perceive a variety of technology and business benefits from their enterprises’ automation investments.
Also according to RedHat, Orange Sonatel, Senegal’s primary telecommunications provider, has reduced application deployment time from weeks to minutes; the service provider’s teams can now deliver new services and features to clients faster and with 66% fewer staff members since implementing IT automation solutions.
In terms of technology, there are three factors driving IT automation: cloud, containers, and microservices. IT automation is a core requirement for scaling the use of containers and microservices, thereby increasing cloud efficiency. IT Heads can now harness the cloud, containers, and microservices at scale without adding additional staff. According to 2020 Red Hat Enterprise Open Source Report: over the next 12 months, 56 percent of enterprises plan to increase their use of containerized applications. Thus, no more employees are required, the application of IT automation can still help these organizations in fully using the potential of Containers and Microservices.
Furthermore, the speed at which organizations now work as well as the rapid rise in DevOps trends also requires the development of IT automation. Businesses aim to automate IT in order to boost performance and productivity. The DevOps method was created to optimize the software development cycle, allowing IT products to be released faster and more frequently, so it is necessary to maximize the efficiency of IT automation.
Source: CiGen RPA
In addition, the IT automation trend also derives from the information technology industry’s human resource issues.
- For IT staff: If the workload is extreme, many tasks are manual and repetitive, IT staff may seek a better working environment in order to advance their careers.
- For IT Heads: Companies are always looking for ways to improve employee efficiency and productivity, so they definitely want their employees to understand how to apply new technologies such as IT automation to reduce manual tasks and focus on important tasks.
In conclusion, there are numerous reasons for the need for IT automation, and enterprise IT Heads should consider implementing IT automation as soon as possible.
How to start information technology automation
Whether you are in the process of implementing IT automation or just switching from the old way of working and beginning to apply IT automation in a new way of working, the first important thing that IT Heads must consider is which tasks should be automated. According to Red Hat chief technologist – EG Nadhan advises, when looking for tasks to automate, IT Heads should keep an eye on processes that can be sunsetted instead of automated. Rather than the number of applications, we should concentrate on the efficiency of IT automation applications.
After deciding the task or process that can be automated, IT Heads should identify the manual, repetitive tasks associated with that task or process in order to begin the IT automation process.
The implementation of IT automation requires patience. It’s impossible to make the switch from manual to automated in one day. It is not just a race to implement IT automation in the workplace, it’s about gaining a long-term competitive edge.
After implementing automation, IT Heads need to regularly check and audit effectively to ensure that it is working properly.
What should IT managers consider while implementing IT automation?
6 useful tips for IT Heads before beginning the automation process:
1. Consult with your team members
2. Select adaptable tools
3. Consider the application of IT automation thoroughly and spend time thinking about it.
4. Consider having an IT automation manager
5. Clear, detailed documentation for IT automation is required
6. Be willing to modify if you identify that the IT automation application on the specified task or process is ineffective.
4 factors that help IT Heads establish an environment to start the IT automation process:
1. IT staff and others must understand how IT automation will benefit them
2. Create the connection between IT automation and specific business goals
3. A detailed IT automation strategy with several specific steps for easy management
4. Pay close attention to even the smallest success of IT automation application plan
3 common mistakes when implementing IT automation process
1. Miscalculation of IT automation process’s results
2. Thinking too narrowly about the benefits
3. Expect too much in a short period of time.
RPA technology – ideal IT automation solution: RPA is an IT automation solution through the use of virtual robots. Humans will be replaced by virtual robots in repetitive manual tasks. As a result, RPA technology has a wide range of practical effects:
- Minimize human intervention in manual tasks
- Increase job processing speed
- Reduce expenses and increase productivity
- Provide a positive experience for both consumers and staff.
As digital transformation is widely encouraged, it is necessary to apply modern achievements such as RPA technology to automate IT. For organizations in general and IT Heads in particular, implementing IT automation is a multi-stage path. Hopefully, the information presented above has provided a realistic perspective on the topic of IT automation and IT automation solutions – RPA technology.